Animal Welfare Standards
All animals we source are raised healthy and happy by our farmer partners -- they live lives in which they're allowed to be themselves. This is morally right, and it also produces better-tasting meat, since traumatic stress changes animals' body chemistry for the worse.
Specifically, farmers commit to the following treatment standards:
- Cattle have continuous access to pasture during the growing season.
- Pigs are raised outdoors at all times during the growing season, on pesticide- and herbicide-free pasture or forested areas. When in shelters during part of the winter, deep bedding ensures no visible concrete.
- No physical alterations, including but not limited to:
- Pigs: No tooth clipping, grinding, filing or de-tusking; disk or septum nose rings are never employed; no tail clipping.
- Chicken: No beak trimming.
- Animals have been humanely handled in loading, trucking and restraint; no electric prod of any kind has been utilized.
At processing time, our farmer partners are the ones who bring their animals to the facility. Animals are slaughtered quickly, in accordance with humane best practices. Our processing partners are small-scale, family-owned business where ownership closely manages slaughter.
Additive-Free is Humane
See also our standards related to clean inputs free of chemicals and additives, as these also contribute to humane treatment.
> Go to Shop Provisions