Animal Welfare Standards
All animals we source are raised healthy and happy by our farmer partners -- they live lives in which they're allowed to be themselves. This is morally right, and it also produces better-tasting meat, since traumatic stress changes animals' body chemistry for the worse.
Specifically, farmers commit to the following treatment standards:
- Cattle have continuous access to pasture during the growing season.
- Pigs are raised outdoors at all times during the growing season, on pesticide- and herbicide-free pasture or forested areas. When in shelters during part of the winter, deep bedding ensures no visible concrete.
- No physical alterations, including but not limited to:
- Pigs: No tooth clipping, grinding, filing or de-tusking; disk or septum nose rings are never employed; no tail clipping.
- Chicken: No beak trimming.
- Animals have been humanely handled in loading, trucking and restraint; no electric prod of any kind has been utilized.
At processing time, animals are slaughtered quickly and humanely. Our processing partners are small-scale, family-owned business where family ownership closely manages slaughter, and which commit to transparent humane treatment standards.
Additive-Free is Humane
See also our standards related to clean inputs free of chemicals and additives, as these also contribute to humane treatment.
> Go to Shop Provisions