Additive-free Beef and Pork
Partner farmers of both beef and pork commit to the following standards to produce healthy, hormone-free, steroid-free, antibiotic-free, GMO-free meat:
- Animals have never been fed or injected with any sort of artificial hormone, steroid, or growth enhancer
- Animals have never been fed or injected with any antibiotics, for any reason
- Cattle have never been fed animal or fish by-products of any kind (e.g., bone meal, hog fat, etc.), or any Genetically Modified Organism (GMO)
- Animals have been raised on pasture on which principally organic means are used to treat pests and weeds. (Some partner farmers may very occasionally use synthetic pesticides or herbicides if a particular outbreak warrants them.)
Bacon and sausage are not treated with nitrates, and brine is limited to sea salt and cane sugar.
There is no gluten, dairy or soy in any products.
100% Grass-fed Beef
Our beef comes from cattle who spend their whole lives on pasture - they are 100% grass-fed and grass-finished. 100% grass-fed beef is more nutritious than conventional grain-finished beef in a number of respects:
- Higher in omega-3 fatty acids
- Higher in conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), a key anti-oxidant
- Higher in beta-carotene (a vitamin A precursor) and vitamin E
- Lower in palmitic and myristic acid (which can raise cholesterol)
Our pork is from pigs who are crosses only of heritage breeds. They live and feed on pasture and woodlot. (In winter months, only, their access to pasture is limited.)
Wild-caught fish and shellfish are devoid of the antibiotics used in intensive fish-farming (aquaculture) operations. Of course, wild-caught fish have also eaten natural diets, not the industrial fish chow that farmed fish are fed.
Humane is healthy
See also standards for humaneness, which affect meat healthfulness.
> Go to Shop Provisions